John Johnson Signs New Deal With Bengaluru FC - THE INDIAN LEAGUE

Breaking

Monday, 20 June 2016

John Johnson Signs New Deal With Bengaluru FC


Bengaluru FC have announced the retention of defender, John Johnson for two more seasons, which means he will continue with the Champions of India till the end of 2017/18 season.

Johnson was one of the first foreign player along with Curtis Osano to sign for Bengaluru FC in their inaugural season in 2013. During his three year stay at Bengaluru, Johnson has become the main cog in BFC's defence, winning 2 I-League titles and 1 Federation Cup. He also won the Best Defender Award for his stellar performance in the recently concluded I-League.

“John Johnson has been immense for the club and has been the kind of leader who doesn’t need an armband. We are at a very crucial phase at the club and getting him on board for another two seasons puts us in a very good position. He’s always inspiring the lads on the pitch and is a great character to have in the dressing room, needless to say he’s a fan favourite,” said Mustafa Ghouse, COO, Bengaluru FC.



Ever since his first season in India, Johnson has been on the radar of a fair number of clubs, with the Kolkata clubs rumoured to be trying hard to bring him into their fold, but the No.6 said signing a new deal with the Blues was one of the easier choices he’s made.

 “I’m delighted to have signed a new contract. Bengaluru FC is home to me. I’ve enjoyed every minute of the three seasons that I’ve spent here and I still feel I have a lot more to offer and achieve with this team. I’ve personally enjoyed great support from the fans and it’s nice to know I will be seeing them again. It’s going to be an important season ahead and I’m already looking forward to it,” said the former Middlesbrough defender.

With Bengaluru FC set to play in AFC Cup quarter finals in September, John Johnson will have added responsibility to steer the Blues defence, something he had been doing for past three years.

Courtesy: Bengaluru FC Media